During the designated Waiver periods Massasoit Community College will post an online "Waiver" form. This form allows students to declare their intention to waive the student health insurance plan. This form must be submitted by the school posted deadline.
- Go directly to the college's web site, www.massasoit.mass.edu .
- Sign into your "MyMassasoit" account.
- Locate the waiver option under the Student tab, Self-Service Options.
Making Your DecisionStudent Health Insurance Plans offer tremendous value. Student Health Insurance Plans will typically have lower out-of-pocket costs (copayments, deductibles, coinsurance) than group health plans or individual plans one can find in the general insurance market or through your state's Marketplace, and are offered at a lower premium. It may even be that the cost of 12-months of coverage for a student health insurance plan is less than the amount of an employer group's annual deductible.
If you want to waive the student health insurance plan, the form must be completed and submitted by the deadline date indicated on your school website or the student will be enrolled in and billed for the student health insurance plan.
If you are interesting to enroll for the student health insurance plan, you will be automatically enrolled if you do not complete an online waiver form through your school website.
Before you make the decision to waive the student health insurance plan we strongly suggest you read the "To waive or not to waive" and the "Value of Student Health Insurance Plans" section on this web page. These will provide valuable information to help make an informed decision regarding your health insurance options.
Quick Points To Consider
- Make sure your current plan will cover your son or daughter while at school for care beyond emergency services - doctor's office visits, diagnostic testing, x-rays, prescription drugs, mental health visits, etc.
- Check to be sure your current health plan's provider network includes doctors and hospitals near campus.
- Look at your plan costs -- is the annual cost of the Student Plan less expensive than the cost of having your son or daughter as a dependent on your plan. Be sure to compare deductibles and total out-of-pocket costs, not just the annual premium.
- Are there administrative pre-requirements, pre-certification, or Primary Care Physician referrals required under your current plan that may delay receipt of care for your daughter or son
If the decision is made to waive the student health insurance plan it is important to have a copy of your current health insurance ID card and a description of your plan's benefits readily available as you will need this information to complete the waiver form.
It is the goal of Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk and Massasoit Community College to make sure all students have access to medical care while they pursue their academic endeavors. Regardless of your decision to waive or enroll in the student health plan we wish you and your students a healthy and safe academic year.